Thanksgiving is knocking on our door and I wanted to send this reminder to nourish yourself and make time to eat a satisfying meal. You may feel a need to restrict due to all the eating on Thanksgiving but skipping meals and undereating will make you want to binge! It is ok if you eat more than usual on Turkey Day, it’s normal and the important thing is to enjoy the company of others. If going for a walk or getting in some gentle exercise sounds good, go for it! Don’t feel like you have to get exercise to burn off the calories.
This stuffed tempeh potato with maple tahini sauce can be made in less than 30 minutes. This recipe is super versatile, I’ve made it for just myself using one baked potato and and had some tempeh leftover. If you make it for 2 or more people, I doubt you will have leftovers! This can leave room in your fridge for more turkey day essentials. What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes?
Quick Stuffed Potato with Maple Tahini Sauce
By: Kelly Goodson MPH, RDN, LDN
2 baked or sweet potatoes
¼ cup white cheddar cheese, more or less depending on your preference
1 block tempeh crumbed (found in produce section of Publix)**
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch scallions,chopped or half a medium onion, diced
Sauce for 2 potatoes
4 tbsp tahini (favorite brand: Mighty Sesame)
2 tsp maple syrup
1-2 tbsp water (thin out)
½-1 tsp turmeric (optional)
1. Wash potatoes and pierce all over with a fork
2. Place on plate and cook on “baked potato setting” (about 5 minutes)
3. Heat oil in saute pan and add chopped scallion and crumbled tempeh
4. Remove potatoes from the microwave and cut in half lengthwise.
5. Scrape flesh from skin with a fork.
6. Top potatoes with tempeh and scallion mix
7. Shred white cheddar onto the potatoes or buy pre-shredded cheese and spread on top
8. Drizzle maple tahini sauce over both potatoes
**you can use chicken if you can’t find tempeh